This post completes my ‘September Travel’ series. I really enjoyed looking back over photos and writing about what I enjoyed in the different places that I visited.
Looking back, there were some definite highlights:-
Walking around Lake Locarno just after rain had passed through
Running up the valleys surrounding Arlsheim, Switzerland
Finding cats everywhere I went. I know a lot of them were not in good health and generally a nuisance, but it highlighted the differences between Italy and the UK.
Finding isolated pockets of history away from the crowds in Agrigento.
Experiencing the chaos that is Naples port.
Wandering around the streets of Sciacca.
Exploring Segesta and hearing the roar of Ducatis announcing the Ducati Riding club of Trapani and Palermo.
Feeling at peace in the vineyards around Alcamo.
And finally, walking in the magnificant Zingaro Nature reserve
All in all, my three week break in Italy was full of surprises. I would definitely recommend exploring it by car, as you see so much more than simply flying into one place and staying there. Much of Sicily is difficult to get to without a car and it gives you freedom to move around.
Below, I’ve included links to the complete ‘September Travels’ Series, including the reviews of the two guide books that I used during my trip. I would certainly recommend getting them a couple of weeks before going and looking through them to see what really appeals.
Related articles (in no particular order)
- September Travels: Sicily via Naples (canadiankate.wordpress.com)
- September Travels – Sciacca, Sicily (canadiankate.wordpress.com)
- September Travels – Agrigento, Sicily (canadiankate.wordpress.com)
- September Travels: Selinunte, Sicily (canadiankate.wordpress.com)
- September Travels – Segesta (canadiankate.wordpress.com)
- September Travels – Agriturismo Tarantola (canadiankate.wordpress.com)
- 24/09/2013 A Review of Blue Guide to Sicily: blogtember challenge (canadiankate.wordpress.com)
- September Travels: Home – Basel via Calais (canadiankate.wordpress.com)
- September Travels: Basel (canadiankate.wordpress.com)
- September Travels: Rome & the Rome (Oxford Archaeological Guides) [Kindle Edition] (canadiankate.wordpress.com)