[This post is part of a series which records my road trip to Sicily during September. I took loads of photos, but have only included a few at the end of each blog post.]
I have been to Basel twice now and both times with my OH. He used to live there during university and now he has family there as well. I love Basel – it’s clean, friendly, safe, small and the trams run on time and actually work (although more on that in a moment). So, staying Basel wasn’t really a new adventure. It was more like revisiting a really nice place. We didn’t do all that much while we were there.
- We visited the Rathaus (Town hall, Renaissance)
- We walked around the Münster (Cathedral, Romanesque)
- We looked over the river from the Münster and its northern Pflaz
- We walked across the Mittlere Brücke (Middle bridge)
- We walked along the river to St Johanns Tor
- We watched the Tinguely-Brunnen (Tinguely Fountain ) for a while
- We had to actually get off a tram because there was an electricity failure. I saw Basel grind to a halt. It was chaos!
This time, we also explored Arlesheim a bit more. We were staying at the Hotel Gasthof zum Ochsen which is an excellent 4* Hotel in Arlesheim, just outside of Basel. Last time we were there, we didn’t really explore any of the village. This was partly because my OH had epic food poisoning, and also because he wanted to revisit his student haunts. This time, we did explore it, and I explored a bit more by going on a lovely run up the valley.
- We found a lovely walk around a Hermitage site
- We found the ruins of Birseck Castle in the Arlesheim area
- We walked around the outside of Domkirche (Cathedral Church)
- I ran along the river and up past some vineyards on the sides of the valley
- We drank some lovely local beer, provided free for the guests at the Hotel
I’m quite looking forward to returning to Basel. I would love to explore its surrounding area and simply chill out while there. However, the prices are exorbitant so I will probably have to save up for a while!
- Picture Postcards from Basel (simply-petra.com)
- Exploring Basel further (swissfamilysieckert.com)
- Getting acquainted with our new home (swissfamilysieckert.com)